23 July, 2012

Dandelions

Dandelions

I finally got the dandelion cross stitch done and I'm really pleased with it, it pairs up with the plantain very nicely! They're both Gerda Bengtsson patterns. If I had some more of that linen I'd do another one to make a trio, but unless a scrap turns up they will stay a pair. I need to get some more of the Danish Flower Thread though, the DMC equivalents don't have their lovely muted colours - this embroidery is a mix of two. I think I might ask for a proper Haandarbejdets Fremme kit for Christmas, perhaps this one.

One of the reasons I'm so pleased to have it done is that I've been mentally planning on putting up the photos above my desk* in the spare room after they all came down when the room was plastered and painted, and I wanted the two hoops up there. I tried to use those 3M adhesive strips to put up the frames but they wouldn't stick to the walls so I just banged in nails and it all went up pretty quickly. I'm planning on printing off a few more of my favourite Instagram photos and then trying to keep a bit current by swapping older ones out. Or I might just expand on to the other wall I don't know!

My desk

*And trust me, the desk is not normally this tidy - far from it!

4 comments:

  1. I like your dandelions. I espec like the one in the fairy stage! When using linen for cross stich do you just use your eye to judge the size of the crosses?

    ReplyDelete
  2. A perfect pair, and they look fab arranged on the wall amongst your other framed pieces.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a cute term for the seedhead! This is counted cross stitch, so each cross is formed over two threads of linen vertically and horizontally. It takes a little bit to get your eye in but then it's not too hard - well if you choose something with a coarser weave than this linen anyways! It was a bit tough on my old eyes at times. I did quite a lot of unpicking on this one, I didn't seem to be paying quite enough attention to how many spaces between leaves when starting a new one etc. so things wouldn't line up and then I'd be pulling out an hour's work - sigh. But all worth it in the end!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have to admit that when someone says "a perfect pair" my mind doesn't automatically spring to embroidery ;) I always think things should be in odd numbers but they do look rather nice up there as I type!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails