05 June, 2012

iPhone case

The Monday night quilt group's 'homework' for the meeting last night was an electronic device cover. Since I share the iPad with my husband and I don't think he'd be thrilled by a patchwork cover, I decided to make another iPhone slipcover.  I liked the one I made last year so much I used the same pattern, although this time I made it as one long piece and folded it in half instead of making two separate sides like the first one. Since it was homework I figured I'd better make an effort at some piecing rather than just use one bit of fabric like last time! I've been wanting to try postage stamps for awhile, and something this small seemed like place to try them out.

Untitled

The squares were 3 cm cut and 2 cm finished. And yeah, that's small! And yes the linen stretched. But actually all things considered, the squares generally matched up pretty well! I love all the reds and pinks against the linen, but couldn't resist putting in a single square of blue.

Untitled

I had a typical last-step disaster though - if you look carefully at the large red and white polka dot fabric you can see the red has leached into the white, as it has on the two smaller ones next to it - and they're from different manufacturers to boot. Argh! I used water-erasable pen to draw in the quilting lines, so before I gave it a last iron I sprayed them out and ironed it wet and the red ran! I'm not sure if it would be permanent, I bet it is since I effectively set it with a hot iron, but I might try washing the cover in warm water with a colour catcher. I thought that both of those fabrics had been pre-washed but perhaps not. Anyways, not impressed!

I made it just a few millimeters too tight, so had to hand-sew the sides up to make enough room. It was meant to be sewn together along those stitching lines you can see, which this time around are simply giving a bit of structure to the edges. It's such a tricky thing making a cover just the right size - not too big or the phone will slide out, not too tight or you can't get it out in time to answer a call! I like this style of cover though, because I can pinch the fabric at the bottom and the phone slides up and I can then pull it out. I can also press the home button through the fabric and slide up the phone a bit to just see the time, and there's nothing blocking the headphone jack at the top.

So now I have two covers, although I imagine I'll still be wandering around the house saying "has anyone seen my phone cover?".

7 comments:

  1. I didn't see the deer last night. Perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't see the deer either! Are you sure you didn't go home and add it in somehow??? Really cute phone cover, if I had a better phone I would have to copy copy copy this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was probably too busy showing off how the dye had run to remember the cute bit :P

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes. Yes, that's exactly what I did. Busted!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Having sewn teeny tiny squares before (and teeny tiny squares with linen), I feel like we both now share a bond together, as if we'd been through some traumatic incident. Which we have - miniscule patchwork with linen! Your iphone case came out gorgeously though! And I'm very impressed with your teeny tiny patchwork! (Especially knowing how much of a pain that is!)

    ReplyDelete
  6. You really did make me LOL with this. Why bond over booze when there is teeny tiny patchwork? :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. NightmaircreativeJune 9, 2012 at 6:37 AM

    love this! would be great for an ipod too! or a blackberry. 

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails