18 March, 2011

Placemats

These are a Christmas present - that I just finished making mid-March. I know, I know, you don't even have to say it.

Placemats


They turned out pretty much as I had imagined them, except the wonkiness. Mat just rolled his eyes at me when I mentioned it and said they were fine, but I can't look past it! I don't do wonky. I have no idea why they ended up that way other than they're mostly made from linen and I've always have a b**ch of a time with that fabric, despite loving it so much. I look at it and it goes all skewy. Maybe if I closed my eyes and sewed? Anyways, hopefully the recipient won't notice and I'll make darn sure I don't say anything about it, though I'll long to make excuses and let them know I'm aware of it and am ashamed. Because that would be tacky right?

Placemats


The linen is some that I bought years ago when we lived in Sydney to make Mat a shirt. However I'd just made him one that he didn't like and he wasn't that keen on another so it has languished in the stash. It's a very heavy cream, almost yellow. The other fabrics are Autumn by Sei from Nutmeg by Robert Kaufman, Eggs Dots Brown from It's a Hoot by Momo, Metro Circles in Brown by Robert Kaufman, and an unknown green linen that I got as a free FQ from SewMamaSew when I ordered a few other things.

12 comments:

  1. I've been meaning to make placemats for ages. Yours are especially gorgeous (no wonkiness detected here!). And after the manic December of 2010, you've inspired me to get cracking for Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, if only they were for Christmas 2011 - sadly they're Christmas 2010!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love them. Didn't notice wonkiness at all, and if it does slightly exist it will only indicate 'NOT made in China'.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, do NOT mention it. No one ever sees the mistake but the seamstress. Your placemats are beautiful!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Agreed, if you are a wonky seamstress, then you are one heck of a photographer, able to disguise it! : )

    When I stitch on fabrics that go "wonky" on me, I use Best Press. You can find it in most quilt stores. It is a starch alternative. Like spray starch, it will stiffen your fabric a bit. Unlike starch, it won't attract insects. I now use it on all my quilting projects, to keep my blocks straight! : )

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks! It's possible that you'd only notice the wonkiness if you were a sewer - that's what I'm telling myself anyways :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yeah I know, but I'm burning to say something! Which of course would just make everyone notice. Can't win really! Mat wants me to make some for us but since we're savages who put our plates straight on the table I don't see the point really. Plus I'm traumatised by the wonkiness ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ah, the wonders of Photoshop! Or in this case Picnic. But actually the wonkiness is in the non-straight edges and that doesn't show very well in the photo - I obviously should have worked harder on capturing it!

    I'll definitely try Best Press next time I work with linen, it's a great idea and I wouldn't have thought of it! Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gorgeous! I love the colours on the patterned fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like the colors and the leaves especially. Very pretty! Very not-made-in-China. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, my! Just too elegant to imagine anyone would think "wonky" when looking at them. To be sure, who ever she is, the lucky recipient will pause to admire her table each time she sets it with your thoughtful, lovely handwork and she will think of you. And you are right, no apologies. Please.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love the placemats...esp the colours!
    As for timing...I just found my dad's birthday present in my studio. His birthday was 4 June...no judgement here...just a big grovelly apology to dad! lol

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails