15 February, 2010

Hat girl...bag girl...


Most of my hats..., originally uploaded by knitkid.

That previous post, plus a comment from Megan, made me think about being a hat-girl, or a bag-girl. I don't consider myself either, but I envy women who are.

I feel awkward and self-conscious wearing hats other than bog-standard sun hats. I feel like people are staring and thinking "look at that woman in the hat" in a bad kind of way. I think partly that's because I have the most enormousest head for a woman and I basically can't buy hats off the rack in a shop, they sit up on the top of my head in a most amusing way. Which is fine in the shop with a friend because it's funny and we all laugh and that's good. Less so if I have to wear it out on the street!

Bags are less fraught and more because I just never think to switch to a new one. I'm in desperate need of a couple of great little bags, and I have fabric and patterns, I just need to make them!

So I think that being a bag-girl or a hat-girl is simply a matter of mindset and I'd love to change mine. Hats will be hard though - any suggestions for first steps?

3 comments:

  1. Jacqui,

    Sorry, no suggestions here. I don't do hats. I have very fine hair,so any hat I put on instantly kills whatever style I might have attempted that morning with my hair. I will say though, when I used to have really long hair I would wear the occasional baseball cap. Good luck on becoming a hat lady.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i'm a bag girl, not a crazy one, i'm not like my friend who is a shoe girl and at last count had 20 pairs, but i do have a collection gathering in my closet!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i'm a bag girl, not a crazy one, i'm not like my friend who is a shoe girl and at last count had 20 pairs, but i do have a collection gathering in my closet!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails